With the weather warming up, we are starting to wear sandals or bare-footing it to the
beach! Many of us are embarrassed about our feet, particularly our heels. At Move with
Podiatry we can help to make your feet look and feel better. Summer is here, so now is a
great time to resolve these problems.
Heel fissures, or cracked heels, are a common problem with our feet. This is caused by dry
skin and may become more troublesome when the skin around the heels has thick callous.
Often people do not notice they have cracked heels until they become painful to walk on
and may also bleed. If these cracks are not cared for properly, the wounds may become
infected which can lead to more significant and ongoing problems.
There are a number of over-the- counter remedies, but if self-treatment isn’t helping, you
may want to see a podiatrist. Podiatrists can safely remove any thick and hardened skin,
which will help existing cracks to heal and allow any moisturiser to be absorbed more easily.
Thickened dry skin or callus around the heel is more likely to crack when certain
mechanical factors come into play, for example the way you walk can be especially relevant.
Cause of cracked heels include:
- Prolonged standing
- Being overweight
- Wearing backless shoes
- Walking barefoot
- Certain medical conditions which predispose to dry skin such as hormonal
imbalance, neuropathy, hypothyroidism etc.
- Skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema
- Athletes Foot
- Excessive washing and scrubbing of the feet
- Lack of drinking water
- Soap and detergents
Why see Move with Podiatry for cracked heels?
- We can perform manual debridement of thickened skin and buff away any dry
- Assess if the skin is infected, properly dress wound.
- Give advice about self-care options
- Apply padding and strapping or skin adhesive to help bring cracks together while
- Assess your current footwear and/or orthotics and provide necessary adjustments.